Advertisement

toonie parties

topic posted Sun, August 6, 2006 - 9:39 PM by  milkyway
Share/Save/Bookmark
hi everyone,

My daughter went to two birthday parties this weekend. It was very fun for her friends to open all their gifts but the amount of stuff they got seems kind of ridiculous, especially considering how much many kids already have! My daughter doesn't even really care about acquiring toys but her room is stuffed with toys too. She already gets tons of gifts from family members and a fair bit of cash from her allowance.

I live in Canada where, if ya don't know, we have one and two dollar coins. We call the two dollar coins 'toonies'. A while ago a friend introduced me to the idea of a toonie party and I thought it seemed like a great way to cut down on unnecessary consumer consumption. Each kid attending the party brings a two dollar coin. The birthday kid keeps half of the money and chooses a charity to donate the other half of the money. For my daughter's last birthday party I told her she could invite 10 kids if she had a toonie party, 3 if she wanted them to bring presents. She agreed she doesn't need all those toys and she really liked the idea of donating the money; she chose the SPCA and was super pleased with herself when we took the money to them.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this idea along in case anyone else is looking for an alternative . . .

Tracy
posted by:
milkyway
Canada
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: toonie parties

Mon, August 7, 2006 - 8:31 AM
    NEAT!! If american money wasn't so boring and lame, that could be really super cool! LOL

I thought they were "LOONIES?"

my 3 year old is really indifferent about recieving things too.
    • Re: toonie parties

Mon, August 7, 2006 - 10:04 AM
      Loonies are the one dollar coin. Toonies are the two dollar ones.

I love Canadian money. They have hockey on one of the bills!

Mon, August 7, 2006 - 11:12 AM
        You could have a two dollar party! I kinda miss the old one dollar bills and it's fun to use them when I'm in the States. What I really miss is the old Canadian two dollar bills though . . . I'm so ancient.
        • Unsu...

Re: toonie parties

Mon, August 7, 2006 - 3:46 PM
          <-------- dumb american.

i need to make it back up there. my friends just moved to canada.

Mon, August 7, 2006 - 7:52 PM
    Thanks for bringing up this topic, and a great alternative to the consumeristic birthday parties. A couple of other ideas: Each child brings a wrapped book to the party and every child gets to choose one, open it and take it home. Also, we have an organization in San Francisco that accepts new clothes/toys for homeless families. Have the birthday kid open the gifts, choose one to keep and give the rest to this charity. It's a great opportunity to teach kids about giving and it cuts down on all the stuff in your house.

Recent topics in "Hip Mamas"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Younger Women Looking for Older Men & Older Women Looking for ... Unsubscribed 0 November 11, 2014
nude senior gays' free meet up Unsubscribed 0 August 16, 2014
Mother's Day awesomeness!!! offlineJessica 0 May 5, 2010
Piercing Question offlineJessica 11 August 19, 2009